Wheeler Mission will soon announce more details of a multi-million-dollar expansion of its Center for Women & Children. A grand celebration fundraising event will be held October 20 at the JW Marriott in downtown Indianapolis. Plans call for $12 million to be raised over the next three years.
The new multi-story building will be erected on the northwest corner of East Michigan Street and North LaSalle Street, which is next to the Mission’s current 10-story building.
“Wheeler is thrilled to have served our community for 125 years and we look forward to this new chapter in our history,” said Wheeler Mission President and CEO Rick Alvis. “Sleeping homeless moms and kids on a gymnasium floor is unacceptable, and the funds raised through this Capital Campaign will allow us to address this issue in ways we haven’t been able to before.”
Features of the new building will include:
- 164 beds, including 30 apartments for mothers with children
- Increased capacity for emergency shelter and long-term programs for women and children
- A dayroom offering relief from the streets
- Additional space for medical and mental health clinics
- Appointment visiting rooms
- Indoor, secure playplace
- Expanded bathroom and laundry facilities
- Additional staff members
Last month, the Colts and the Irsay family donated $100,000 to the Wheeler Mission’s $1.25 million Building for Change Campaign, the money from which will go toward the $12 million campaign.