Visit Bloomington has awarded $40,000 to help 13 organizations put on events throughout 2016. Planned festivals will focus on everything ranging from film and music to comedy and "hillbilly haiku."
The grants aim to help bring in visitors from outside a 50-mile radius of Monroe County. The organization judges applicants based on their ability to draw attendees, increase hotel occupancy and stage events during non-peak times of the year.
The 2016 recipients are:
- Limestone Comedy Festival (June 2-4): $5,000
- Kiwanis Club of South Central Indiana Balloon Festival (September 11-13): $4,500
- Artisan Guilds of Bloomington Holiday Show (November 6-7): $4,400
- Middle Coast Film Festival (mid-August): $4,200
- Arts Fair on the Square (June 18): $4,000
- Lotus World Music & Arts Festival (mid-September): $3,700
- USA International Harp Competition (June 8-18): $3,000
- Hoosier Half Marathon (April 9): $3,000
- Art & Soul Juried Art Show (April 2): $2,500
- Blues & Boogie Woogie Piano Festival (early August): $2,000
- Cardinal Stage Company holiday show (late December-early January): $1,500
- Hillbilly Haiku (Labor Day weekend): $1,500
- Raas Royalty (March 4-5): $700