Susan G. Komen Central Indiana has announced nearly $850,000 in grants to area health organizations. The funding covers services from screenings and treatments to wigs and prosthetics.

April 23, 2014

News Release

Indianapolis, Ind. — Since 1997, Susan G. Komen Central Indiana has awarded more than $15 million in community grants to local organizations that deliver breast health services in its 21-county service area. This month, the organization awarded nearly $850,000 for its current funding cycle to local breast health programs.

Grant funds cover screenings (clinical breast exams and mammograms), diagnostics (biopsies and ultrasounds), treatment assistance, health care navigation, medication assistance and support services such as transportation, child care, wigs and prosthetics which help ensure women complete treatment with the support they need but can't afford.

“We are so proud of the life-saving services Komen Central Indiana grantees are able to provide in our community. A great need to support the under and uninsured individuals in Central Indiana still exists. With community support, we will continue to make an impact in filling these gaps.” said Executive Director of Komen Central Indiana, Natalie Sutton.

Since 2005, nearly 1000 women have been diagnosed with breast cancer as a result of Komen grant dollars. In the past year, Komen grant funding reached over 35,000 Hoosiers with life-saving breast health services including mammograms, diagnostics, patient navigation and survivor support.

If a resident lives in Komen Central Indiana's 21-county service area and is in need of breast health assistance, she or he can contact the nearest grantee listed below to find local resources. Komen Central Indiana focuses on underinsured and uninsured individuals to ensure quality care for all.

The 2014 grant recipients, their breast health programs and county/counties served:

• Boone County Community Clinic: Breast Cancer Screening & Education. Boone County.

• Cancer Services of East Central Indiana: “Reaching Out” Breast Health. Delaware County.

• Cancer Services of Grant County: Breast Education Screening & Survival. Grant County.

• Columbus Regional Hospital: Mammography Assistance Project. Bartholomew, Brown and Johnson Counties.

• Gennesaret Free Clinic: Taking Time to Keep the Promise. Marion County.

• Hancock Regional Hospital Foundation: Women Helping Women. Hancock, Marion, Shelby and Rush Counties.

• Interlocal Community Action Program: Mother Child Center. Henry County.

• Little Red Door Cancer Agency: Mammography Assistance Program & Client Navigation. Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Marion, Morgan and Shelby Counties.

• Rush Memorial Hospital: Breast Cancer Awareness, Education & Early Detection. Rush County.

• Wishard Health Services: Patient Navigation, Provider Education & Expanded Spanish Interpretation Services. Marion County.

• YWCA of Greater Lafayette: YWCA Women's Cancer Program. Boone, Clinton, Hamilton, Howard, Montgomery, Tippecanoe and Tipton Counties.

The 2014 grantee selection committee consisted of community members who reviewed applications and prioritized the applicant programs based on the needs outlined in the most recent community needs assessment, which is conducted every four years. To see breast health statistics in Central Indiana – including areas with highest incidence and mortality rates or the lowest employment or insurance rates – go to the 2011 Komen Central Indiana Community Profile:

About Susan G. Komen Central Indiana

Susan G. Komen is the world's largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. 75% of Komen Central Indiana's net proceeds stay in our 21-county service area to fund breast health outreach, screenings, diagnostics and treatment assistance programs for Hoosiers in need. The remaining 25% goes to the Komen Research Grants Programs seeking the causes, improved treatments and ultimately a cure for breast cancer. Visit or call 317-638-2873. Connect with us on Facebook at and Twitter @KomenIndy.

Source: Susan G. Komen Central Indiana

{{ articles_remaining }}
Free {{ article_text }} Remaining
{{ articles_remaining }}
Free {{ article_text }} Remaining Article limit resets on
{{ count_down }}