The Fort Wayne-based Foellinger Foundation has granted $1 million for three years of support for the Allen County Public Library’s Summer Learning Program. The ACPL program helps young people maintain educational skills between school sessions.
Highlights of the program include:
- 27,000 children, teens and adults registered for the program
- 16,500 free lunches and snacks were served
- 5,200 participants in Camp Library programs
- 4,868 youth reached by Team Read at 22 sites
- 95% of survey respondents reported their child maintained or increased their reading skills
Foellinger Foundation President Cheryl Taylor says "the Summer Learning Program creates a community of lifelong learners and encourages family literacy. We are proud to support the program as it has become one of Foellinger Foundation’s Signature Grants.” The foundation has granted nearly $5 million to the Summer Learning Program since 1994.