The wraps are now off an expanded Schimpff’s Confectionery in Jeffersonville. The company is considered one of the oldest family-owned candy makers in the country. Owners Warren and Jill Schimpff started the expansion more than two years ago after purchasing the neighboring 345 Spring Street building that is the site of the additional retail and manufacturing space.
The lower level of the two-story expanded space includes a new tin ceiling, restored terrazzo floor, a 1900-era safe that has been repurposed as a cash register station and antique advertising located on mahogany shelving units from the office of a more than 90-year-old candy company that closed in Chicago in 2007.
Schimpff’s opened on April 11, 1891 by Gustav Schimpff Sr. The expansion is the second by the current owners, the first one coming in 2000.