Senator Brandt Hershman’s (R-7) bill providing funding for road and bridge improvements has passed the Indiana Senate. The bill would immediately provide $430 million to local governments from local income tax revenues.
The bill passed by a vote of 49-1. It now moves to the House of Representatives for consideration.
"Senate Bill 67 will immediately provide resources for local infrastructure improvements, which local governments around the state have identified as a top priority," Hershman said. "This plan provides $430 million in road funding now, without tapping into Indiana’s budget reserves, raising taxes, or creating debt. Senate Bill 67 is designed to work in concert with a more long-term funding solution, which lawmakers are still discussing."
The bill requires that local governments direct a minimum of 75 percent of the funds toward local road and bridge projects or placed in a rainy day fund. The remaining 25 percent can be used at the discretion of the local governments.
Governor Mike Pence has given his support to the bill, placing it on his 2016 legislative agenda. Pence has said the bill compliments his 21st Century Crossroads plan, which would provide $1 billion for state road funding for four years.