Governor Mike Pence leaves today for a trade mission to Japan. He is leading a group of Indiana business and community leaders on the trip that aims to bring jobs and investment to Indiana.
“With more than 250 Japan-owned businesses operating in Indiana today, the state’s relationship with Japan is crucial to our economy and continued job creation in the Hoosier State. Since January 2013, we have announced more than 2,100 new job commitments and nearly $800 million in planned capital investment from Japanese companies operating in Indiana. I’m looking forward to returning to the site of my first gubernatorial jobs mission to continue this momentum by sharing Indiana’s story as a state that works for business,” Governor Pence said.
The Governor will leave on September 11 and return to Indiana on September 18. Officials say the cost of the state delegation is being covered through private donations to the Indiana Economic Development Foundation.
During the trip, Governor Pence will address attendees at the opening ceremony of the Midwest-U.S. Japan Association Conference and meet with representatives from Honda Motor Company and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. The Governor and members of the delegation will also meet with executives of Hitatchi Ltd. to learn about the company’s new Smart City technology. The group will meet with executives from Aisin, Toyota Industries Corporation, Toyota Motor Corporation and Toyota Tsusho Corporation. The group will make stops in Kyoto, Nagoya and Tokyo. Pence will also visit Japanese cultural and historical sites.
Members of the delegation are:
- Governor Mike Pence
- First Lady Karen Pence
- Victor Smith, Indiana Secretary of Commerce
- Steve Akard, Indiana Economic Development Corporation (IEDC)
- Marvin Blade, Duke Energy
- Kai Chuck, IEDC
- James Finan, AEP/Indiana Michigan Power
- Clayton Force, Force Construction
- Harold Force, Force Construction
- Abby Gras, IEDC
- Harold Gutzwiller, Hoosier Energy
- Bill Hanna, Northwest Indiana Regional Development Authority
- Jason Hester, Columbus Economic Development Board
- Melanie Walker Hart, Japan-America Society of Indiana and Tsuchiya Group North America
- Rebecca Helmke, IEDC
- Christina Householder, Cass County Economic Development
- Larry Ingraham, Ingraham & Associates
- Michael Kern, Gaylor Inc.
- Theresa Kulczak, Japan-American Society of Indiana
- James Lienhoop, City of Columbus
- Cynthia Madrick, Cornerstone Environmental, Health and Safety Inc.
- Kendall Millard, Barnes & Thornburg
- Mark Miller, Cornerstone Environmental, Health and Safety Inc.
- Sara Miller, Old National Bank
- Paul Mitchell, Energy Systems Network
- Brenda Morrissey, Office of the First Lady
- Peter Morse, Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Hide Niiyama, Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Yukihito Ozaki, Force Construction
- Richard Pease, Pease International Ventures
- Jim Plump, Jackson County Economic Development Corporation
- Tom Prather, DEEM LLC
- Susan Reed, Indiana Municipal Power Agency
- Michael Roeder, Vectren Corporation
- Paul Roland, IEDC
- Dale Stackhouse, Ice Miller LLP
- William Stephan, Indiana University
- Thomas Zupancic, DEEM LLC