The Northwest Indiana Regional Planning Commission is beginning the development of its next regional plan. The commission is seeking input on the needs, vision and goals of the region over the next three decades.
Ten public meetings have been set in Lake, LaPorte and Porter Counties:
- April 30, 5pm at the Crown Point Public Library
- May 1, 4:30pm Michigan City Public Library
- May 2, 1:30pm Merrillville Municipal Complex
- May 3, 4pm Purdue Northwest-Westville
- May 7, 5pm East Chicago Public Library
- May 8, 6pm Methodist Southlake Hospital, Merrillville
- May 9, 6pm State Street Community Church, LaPorte
- May 10, 6pm Valparaiso Public Library
- May 15, 5pm Chesterton Town Hall
- May 17, 5:30pm Steel City Academy cafeteria, Gary
The plan will tackle economic development, transportation and the environment. The long-range plan is required by the United States Department of Transportation. The 2050 plan is expected to be adopted by May of next year.