State Superintendent of Public Instruction-elect Jennifer McCormick has selected her transition team. McCormick calls the 17-member group "dynamic and diverse." She will officially succeed current Superintendent Glenda Ritz January 9.
McCormick says "the team’s commitment to Hoosier students will drive critical decision-making which will ultimately impact Indiana’s education system and ensure Indiana has one of the best Departments of Education in the nation."
McCormick, who has spent more than a decade as the superintendent of Yorktown Community Schools, campaigned on what she calls her five non-negotiables, which are:
- Establish leadership and vision within the Indiana Department of Education.
- Restore a partnership between the Indiana Department of Education and stakeholders with an emphasis on communication and team work.
- Provide districts with quality tools to enhance instruction and support teachers.
- Develop a credible statewide assessment system.
- Put students before politics.
The group held its first meeting late last week. Team members include:
- Chair Steve Edwards – Retired Superintendent and Education Consultant, Administrator Assistance
- Brad Balch – Professor and Dean Emeritus, Indiana State University, Department of Educational Leadership
- Todd Bess – Executive Director, Indiana Association of School Principals
- Wes Bruce – Education and Assessment Consultant
- Jeff Butts – President-Elect, Indiana Association of Public School Superintendents
- Indiana State Representative Tony Cook (R-32), who previously served as superintendent of the Hamilton Heights School Corp.
- Denny Costerison – Executive Director, Indiana Association of School Business Officials
- Scot Croner – Superintendent, Blackford County Schools
- Nancy Holsapple – Executive Director, Old National Trail Special Services Inter-Local
- David Holt – Chief Financial Officer, MSD Warren Township
- Lee Ann Kwiatkowski – Member, State Board of Education
- Micah Maxwell – Executive Director, Boys & Girls Club of Muncie
- Hardy Murphy – Executive Director, Indiana Urban Schools Association and Clinical Professor of Education, IUPUI, IU School of Education
- Kathryn Raasch – Principal, Wayne Township Preschool
- Terry Spradlin – Director of Community and Governmental Relations, Education Networks of America
- Lisa Tanselle – General Counsel, Indiana School Boards Association
- Kelly Wittman – Executive Principal, Max S. Hayes Career & Technical High School of MSD Cleveland