The Indiana Department of Education has named more schools throughout the state to receive science, technology, engineering and mathematics certification. The schools are chosen based on their "commitment to teaching the STEM disciplines" throughout the entire school.
The additional schools bring the state’s total number of STEM Certified Schools to 32.
The IDOE says these schools "exemplify a highly non-traditional approach to education, employing a great deal of inquiry, project based learning, community engagement, entrepreneurship, student centered classrooms, integration into humanities and related arts, and out of school STEM activities. STEM Certified Schools accomplish this while following educational policies set by the state and excelling under the system of accountability."
The newly-named Indiana STEM Certified Schools include:
Full STEM Certification
- Brooklyn Elementary School – MSD of Martinsville
- Eagle Creek Elementary – MSD of Pike Township
- Riverside Intermediate – Plymouth Community School District
- Roosevelt STEAM Academy – Elkhart Community Schools
- Barker Middle School – Michigan City Area Schools
- Batchelor Middle School – Monroe County Community School Corporation
- Ben Davis 9th Grade Center – MSD of Wayne Township
- Doe Creek Middle School – Community School Corporation of Southern Hancock County
- Helfrich Park STEM Academy – Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation Prosser Career Education Center
Full STEM Certified Program- School within a School Model
- Pike Career & STEM Center – MSD of Pike Township
Approaching STEM School Certification
- Avon Intermediate West – Avon Community School Corporation
- Guion Creek Elementary – MSD of Pike Township
- Lynhurst 7th & 8th Grade Center – MSD of Wayne Township
You can learn more about the Indiana STEM Certified School program by clicking here.