The 23-member panel created to review and recommend an alternative to the statewide ISTEP exam is set. The group includes teachers, professors and administrators from throughout the state.
Governor Mike Pence, Superintendent of Public Instruction Glenda Ritz, House Speaker Brian Bosma (R-88) and Senate Pro Tempore David Long (R-16) have identified their nominations. In addition to the 17 selections, the panel is rounded out by Ritz, the Commissioner of Workforce Development, Commissioner of Higher Education, Chairperson of the Senate Education & Career Development Committee, Chairperson of the House Education Committee and a member of the State Board of Education.
The group will study alternatives to ISTEP and offer suggestions for a test that is shorter and easier to administer. It was created by House Enrolled Act 1395, which was ceremonially signed into law by Governor Pence last month. The panel will submit recommendations to the governor and General Assembly by December 1.
Pence appointed the following:
- Nicole Fama – principal of Indianapolis Public School #93, Fama will be chair of the board
- Dr. Jim Roberts – Batesville Community School Corp. superintendent
- Chuck Weisenbach – principal of Roncalli High School in Indianapolis
- Brent Freeman – Special Education Officer for Indianapolis Public Schools
- Dr. Michelle McKeown – part-time Assistant Professor of Education Studies at DePauw University
Ritz appointed the following:
- Ayana Wilson-Coles – third grade teacher at Eagle Creek Elementary School in Indianapolis
- Julie Kemp – Principal at Chrisney Elementary School in the North Spencer County School Corp.
- Wendy Robinson – Superintendent of Fort Wayne Community Schools
- Callie Marksbary – Indiana State Teachers Association
Bosma appointed the following:
- Melissa Scherle – IPS Second Grade Teacher
- Edward Rangel – Assistant Principal at Tindley Genesis in Indianapolis
- Dr. Scot Croner – Blackford County Schools Superintendent
- Dr. Lynne Stallings – Ball State University professor
Long appointed the following:
- Jean Russell – literacy specialist at Haverhill Elementary in Southwest Allen County Schools, 2016 Indiana Teacher of the Year
- Steve Baker – Bluffton High School Principal
- Dr. Kenneth Folks – East Allen County Schools Superintendent
- Marilyn Moran-Townsend – Fort Wayne-based CVC Communications chairman and CEO