The Indiana Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association has announced its 2019 Hall of Fame class. Honorees include a broadcaster who has six decades of airwaves under her belt, a writer who also raced sprint cars and worked for Indy 500 crews and multiple ESPN alums. The organization has also announced sportscaster and sportswriter of the year, as well as Lifetime Achievement Award and Helping Hand Award winners.
The honors are in the 24th year. The Class of 2019 and award winners will be celebrated April 7 at a ceremony at Valle Vista Country Club in Greenwood.
• Gordon Engelhardt, Evansville Courier & Press
• Chuck Freeby, WHME South Bend
• Mike Haynes, former voice of the Colorado Avalanche
• Robin Miller, NBCSN, formerly of the Indianapolis Star
• Rita Price, WRSW Warsaw
• Art Saltsburg, WOWO Fort Wayne
• Corky Lamm Sportswriter of the Year – Mike Carmin (pictured), Lafayette Journal & Courier
• Ron Lemasters Lifetime Achievement Award – Steve Fields (pictured), Terre Haute Tribune-Star correspondent and formerly of the Greencastle Banner-Graphic.
• Bob Williams Helping Hand Award – Mike Skvara, 34-year media coordinator for IHSAA football State Finals and worked with the Evansville Memorial football program.
The Indiana Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association was founded in 1946. It created its Hall of Fame 50 years later in 1996. With the addition of the Class of 2019 the Hall of Fame will have 117 members.