Indy Libraries Named to National Register
Two Indianapolis Public Library branches that operate as original Carnegie Libraries have been named to the National Register of Historic Places. The East Washington and Spades Park branches, both of which were constructed in the early 1900s, were nominated by the Indiana Historic Preservation Review Board.
The East Washington Branch was built from 1909 to 1911 with a $120,000 grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. The 5,600 square-foot library is currently undergoing a major expansion, including a new computer lab, elevator access and updated restrooms. The work is expected to be completed by November.
The Spades Park Branch was built in 1912. The 7,500 square-foot branch underwent major renovation in 1987 in celebration of 75 years of service.
Library representatives will receive official State of Indiana and National Register certificates during special ceremonies at the Indiana State Fair in August.