Judges have names winners after judging nearly 1,800 wines were judged in the 28th annual INDY International Wine Competition at Purdue University in late May. Over 360 winemakers from 13 countries and 36 states entered the competition, with Trinchero Family Estates of California being named Winery of the Year. 2018 Eagle Point White by Dubuque Heritage Winery of Iowa won Wine of the Year and Richard Batchelor of Maryhill Winery in Washington was named Winemaker of the Year for the second straight year. Satek Winery of Fremont, Indiana won the Governor’s Cup, which is awarded to the top Indiana winery.
The competition was evaluated by 46 judges who sampled wines, meads and ciders, with 75 wines being named Best in Class.
Other winners include:
- Red Wine of the Year – 2016 Black Tie, Michael Gill Cellars, California.
- White Wine of the Year – 2017 Ballet, Dancing Dragonfly Winery, Wisconsin.
- Sparkling Wine of the Year – Barefoot Bubbly Pink Moscato, California.
- Rosé Wine of the Year – 2018 Vista Rose’, Brown County Winery, Indiana.
- Fruit Wine of the Year – Sugar Lips Peach, Talon Winery & Vineyard, Kentucky.
- Dessert Wine of the Year – 2017 Creekbend Vidal Blanc Ice Wine, Oliver Winery, Indiana.
- Package Design of the Year – 2017 Moscatel, Morais Vineyards & Winery, Virginia.
- Wine Label of the Year – The Riveter, Daniel’s Vineyard, Indiana.
A complete list of winners can be found here.