Several Indiana properties and districts are now part of the National Register of Historic Places. Sites in nine counties are now on the list deeming them “worthy of preservation.” The following areas are now part of the national register:
-North Anthony Boulevard Historic District in Fort Wayne
-Cedar Grove Bridge over Whitewater River in Franklin County
-Black, Rufus and Amanda House in Hancock County
-Parsons A.A. Farmstead in Avon
-Oren and Adelia Parker House in Rensselaer
-Haskell and Barker Historic District in Michigan City
-Indiana and Michigan Avenues Historic District in La Porte
-Combs Addition Historic District in Gary
-Seller's Standard Station and Pullman Diner in Morocco
-LaFontaine Historic District in Wabash County
Source: The National Park Service
November 13, 2014
Fort Wayne, Ind. – The North Anthony Boulevard Historic District is now part of the National Register of Historic Places, the nation's official list of properties considered worthy of preservation.
The residential historic district boundaries are roughly along North Anthony Boulevard from Lake to Crescent avenues. North Anthony was a key feature in the 1911 Park and Boulevard Plan for Fort Wayne, by landscape architect George Kessler. Kessler’s work was part of Fort Wayne’s City Beautiful planning; his concepts completely transformed public and private development throughout the community and led to the development of many of Fort Wayne’s historic twentieth century residential areas.
The North Anthony Boulevard Historic District contains a mixture of architectural styles and forms ranging from Craftsman Bungalow, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival and Tudor Revival to post-war examples of the Ranch style. The boulevard is 100 feet wide and still features the distinctive London Plane trees on both sides of the sidewalks that were part of Kessler's 1911 plan.
“In addition to its importance as a vital transportation corridor, the North Anthony Boulevard Historic District is also a great place to live and play,” said Fort Wayne Mayor Tom Henry. “The designation serves as recognition of the uniqueness of the neighborhood and is a great source of pride for our entire community.”
North Anthony residents worked with the City and State Historic Preservation offices to nominate the area to the National Register. The project was funded in part by a grant from the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service Historic Preservation Fund. The Fund is administered by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology. The application was prepared by ARCH, Inc. of Fort Wayne.
Source: City of Fort Wayne