As the nation prepares to celebrate Veteran’s Day Thursday, the Indiana Department of Education has named 35 Purple Star schools. The designation is awarded to schools for their commitment to current and retired military service members. This is the second year for the program.
To receive the designation, schools must meet certain criteria, such as a designated staff member who serves as the liaison for service members, veterans, and students and families. Other factors include employment of military service members and conduct annual military programs, such as Veteran’s Day celebrations.
“In Indiana, we are especially thankful for our state’s commitment to our service members,” said Katie Jenner, Indiana Secretary of Education. “These schools work year-round to honor our service members and their families, as well as prepare students to pursue their dreams after high school, including the pursuit of enlistment leading to service.”
2021 Purple Star Schools
- Bellmont High School, North Adams Community Schools
- Ben Davis University High School, MSD Wayne Township
- Brummitt Elementary, Chesterton Middle School and Chesterton High School, Duneland School Corp.
- Corpus Christi School, Diocese of Evansville
- Cortland Elementary School, Seymour Community School Corp,
- Delphi Community Elementary School, Delphi Community School Corp.
- Emerson Elementary School, Seymour Community School Corp.
- Hatfield Elementary School, Mitchell Community Schools
- Indian Creek Elementary School, Intermediate School, Middle School and Senior High School, Nineveh-Hensley-Jackson United School Corp.
- Jackson Elementary School, Seymour Community School Corp.
- Jeffersonville High School, Greater Clark County Schools
- Lawrenceburg High School, Lawrenceburg Community School Corp.
- Liberty Elementary School and Intermediate School, and Jackson Elementary School, Duneland School Corp.
- Maconaquah School Corp.
- Margaret R. Brown Elementary School, Seymour Community School Corp.
- Marquette Catholic High School, Archdiocese of Gary
- Muncie Central High School, Muncie Community Schools
- North Clay Middle School, Clay Community Schools
- North Decatur Jr. Sr. High School, Decatur County Community Schools
- Redding Elementary School, Seymour Middle School and Seymour H.S., Seymour Community School Corp.
- South Ripley High School, South Ripley Community Schools
- South Side High School, Fort Wayne Community Schools
- Trojan Virtual Academy, Duneland School Corp.
- Webb Elementary School, Franklin Community School Corp.
- Westchester Intermediate School and Yost Elementary School, Duneland School Corp.
Schools awarded the Purple Star designation in 2021 join 60 schools awarded with Indiana’s inaugural Purple Star designation in 2020. The designation is valid for three years.