Indiana Landmarks is looking for ideas on how to re-purpose a historic Indianapolis synagogue. The organization is holding an open house this evening at the Beth-El Temple, which opened in 1925.
The building was designed in the 1920s by architectural firm Vonnegut, Bohn and Mueller. The original congregation left in 1958. A second congregation left 10 years later. After that, three successive Christian churches occupied the site. It has been vacant for about a decade.
Indiana Landmarks has purchased the building. Funding from the Mapleton-Fall Creek Development Corp., the Efroymson Family Fund and the Central Indiana Community Foundation helped pay to replace the synagogue’s roof. The Neo-Classical-style building is in the Mapleton-Fall Creek neighborhood.
The organization will hold an open house at Beth-El Temple this evening from 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.