The president of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway calls construction of a new dirt track an "exciting new chapter" in its long-running relationship with the United States Auto Club. Tuesday, Doug Boles helped publicly unveil the quarter-mile course, which is under construction inside the third turn at IMS. A new, two-night USAC Midget National Championship event will take place in the days leading up to the NASCAR event in early September.
The Driven2SaveLives BC39, named for former USAC champion and three-time Indianapolis 500 starter Bryan Clauson, who died two years ago in a USAC Midget Car race, will feature a 39-lap marquee race September 6 that IMS says will be the richest Midget racing event in history with a $70,000 purse.
Boles says the collaboration "reinforces the connection between short-track racing and this facility. The Speedway truly is The Greatest Race Course in the World, and adding a dirt track will create even more opportunities for fans to enjoy the magic of IMS. We can’t wait to see some of the best drivers and teams in America compete here during Brickyard race week."
The late owner of IMS, Tony Hulman, formed USAC in 1956. The Indianapolis-based organization served as the sanctioning body for the Indianapolis 500 until 1997 and today is the sanctioning body of series including Silver Crown, National Sprint Car, National Midget, Ignite Midget, .25 Midget and Traxxas TORC.
Construction inside the oval’s infield began last week and the clay surface, concrete walls, safety fencing and lighting equipment will continue to be installed in the coming months. Kokomo Speedway’s Reece O’Connor is overseeing design, layout and construction and Indianapolis-based Allegiant International the project facilitator.
You can connect to more about the track and race by clicking here.