More than a dozen Indiana-based companies are included on the Forbes list of "America’s Best Employers 2018." The list ranks companies based on surveys of employees, who gave opinions on their companies and others.
The publication worked with market research company Statista, which surveyed 30,000 people at businesses with at least 1,000 employees. The respondents were asked to rate how likely they would recommend their employer to others on a scale of zero to 10. They were also asked to nominate companies in industries outside of their own.
The final list is split among the top large companies and top midsize companies. Five hundred companies were included in each category. In Indiana, Indianapolis-based Eli Lilly and Co. (NYSE: LLY) and Parkview Health in Fort Wayne are ranked in the top 100 for large companies, at numbers 57 and 93, respectively.
"Parkview’s culture encourages engagement, professional development, inclusion and innovation," Mike Packnett, chief executive officer of Parkview Health, said in a news release. "We are committed to providing a workplace our co-workers can be proud of and one that reflects our mission to serve others. We are honored to be named among America’s best, and we’ll continue to foster a culture where our co-workers feel valued and respected."
Cook Medical in Bloomington and Jasper Engines & Transmissions in Dubois County were the highest-ranking Hoosier businesses in the midsize companies category. The Indiana companies on each list include:
Top Large Companies (more than 5,000 employees):
- 57: Eli Lilly and Co. (NYSE: LLY) – Indianapolis
- 93: Parkview Health – Fort Wayne
- 105: NiSource Inc. (NYSE: NI) – Merrillville
- 132: Cummins Inc. (NYSE: CMI) – Columbus
- 220: Anthem Inc. (NYSE: ANTM) – Indianapolis
- 378: State of Indiana – Indianapolis
- 380: Shoe Carnival Inc. (Nasdaq: SCVL) – Evansville
- 455: Subaru of Indiana Automotive – Lafayette
Top Midsize Companies (1,000 to 5,000 employees):
- 44: Cook Medical – Bloomington
- 72: Jasper Engines & Transmissions – Jasper
- 165: University of Notre Dame – South Bend
- 337: AM General LLC – South Bend
- 419: CNO Financial Group Inc. (NYSE: CNO) – Carmel
- 478: Eskenazi Health – Indianapolis
- 486: Barnes & Thornburg LLP – Indianapolis
Michelin Group in South Carolina and Penguin Random House in New York took the top spots in the large and midsize categories, respectively. You can view the full list of Top Large Companies by clicking here and Top Midsize Companies by clicking here.