Goshen College has received a $185,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Education to further develop the Equipping Scholars for Globally Engaged Learning project, an effort to provide additional support for faculty leading its Study-Service Term courses.
SST courses are an educational requirement at Goshen College in which students take part in a study abroad experience. Students choose a semester-long program abroad, or a one-course-at-a-time format that involves at least one, three-week off-campus travel experience.
The college says the funding will help to develop a “global engagement ethos” among faculty who will expand critical language skills. The project will specifically focus on Indonesian, Swahili and Mandarin, as well as cultural knowledge in Indonesia, Tanzania and China.
“I am so excited about this grant as it will give us the resources we need to support our faculty in their language, culture and curriculum preparation for leading SST,” said Jan Bender Shetler, director of global engagement. “We depend on excellent faculty to lead all of our SST units, both short and long term options. This takes a lot of time and effort in the midst of everything else faculty are balancing. Now we can give them what they need to be successful.”
The college says the program will receive nearly $300,000 over two years. The UISFL grant will fund 62% of the total project cost, and Goshen College will provide the remaining $113,000, or 38%, through matching funds.