One of Indiana's largest annual conventions is threatening to look outside Indianapolis if Governor Mike Pence signs the “Religious Freedom Restoration Act.” In a letter to Pence, Gen Con LLC Chief Executive Officer Adrian Swartout says attendees' “wide-ranging diversity” is a key element of the event, which drew more than 56,000 last year and had an economic impact of about $50 million. You can see the letter by clicking here.
The event draws gamers from throughout the country and world to Indianapolis. The organization says attendance has grown at least 10 percent each of the last four years.
In an interview last year with Inside INdiana Business, Visit Indy Vice President of Marketing and Communications Chris Gahl said the event is committed to Indianapolis through at least 2020.
Gen Con 2015 is scheduled for July 30 – August 2, 2015.
In a statement released earlier this week, Governor Pence says he looks forward to signing the bill when it reaches his desk. It has passed through both chambers of the Statehouse. You can view full bill by clicking here.
Opponents of the bill are planning a rally Saturday afternoon at the Indiana Statehouse.
Sources: Gen Con LLC, Indiana Statehouse