The Community Foundation of Greater Fort Wayne is launching a fund related to the $440 million Electric Works project. The foundation says the Electric Works Innovation and Neighborhood Renewal Fund aims to support and foster charitable activities associated with the transformation of the former General Electric campus into a mixed-use innovation district.
Brad Little, president and chief executive officer of the foundation, says the fund makes it possible for the community to invest in many of the programs and activities at Electric Works. He says the project "has the potential to profoundly and positively transform not only the existing property but the surrounding neighborhoods."
The foundation says potential activities supported by the fund could include:
- Research and development related to life sciences, health, technology, and agriculture
- Education and programming
- Small business development by connecting entrepreneurs, providing technical assistance and supporting the entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Development of space to promote collaborative work, coworking, and community gathering opportunities for all to come together, learn and share ideas
- Neighborhood revitalization through renewal of vibrant, economically integrated, and diverse neighborhoods that increase opportunities for residents to share in the rewards of a growing, thriving economy
- Research on innovative housing and community development strategies
"The Innovation and Renewal Fund is an innovative way for the public to directly invest in Electric Works and strengthen the entrepreneurial, educational, and innovation-focused initiatives," Jeff Kingsbury, partner at RTM Ventures, which is developing Electric Works. "The Community Foundation’s continued belief in and support of Electric Works as a transformational project for our community’s long-term future is important, and we welcome their ongoing partnership with the Innovation and Renewal Fund."
You can learn more about the fund by clicking here.
Kingsbury appeared in May on Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick alongside former Greater Fort Wayne Inc. CEO Eric Doden and said investment from the private sector will be key for Electric Works to continue forward. You can watch that interview by clicking the link below: