The Community Foundation of Elkhart County’s Board of Directors has approved $2.3 million in grant funding for nonprofits working to improve Elkhart County. Award recipients include Wellfield Botanic Gardens, the Center for Community Justice and Goshen College, among others.
The grants were divided into three categories that each support the local community. Career development, raising a future generation and improving the area are main goals of the Community Foundation.
“We are focused on transforming Elkhart County by helping a broad range of initiatives succeed. One way we can do that is by investing in the good work being done by non-profit organizations, churches and schools,” said President Pete McCown in a news release.
Placemaking grants totaling $1,683,285 were given to:
- Goshen Theater, Programming Development $100,000 over two years
- Nappanee Power from the Past, $187,200
- Wellfield Botanic Gardens, Origami in the Gardens, $50,000
- Bethany Christian Schools, Great Strides Campaign, $390,000 (one to one match)
- Friends of the Lerner Endowment Fund, $500,000
- 20 grants of $25,000 or less totaled $101,085
Kids and Families grants totaling $455,729 were awarded to:
- Cancer Resources for Elkhart County, Journey Through Cancer Treatment Program, $30,000
- Ryan’s Place, Children’s Grief Support Program, $80,000 over two years
- Good Shepherd Montessori School, preschool expansion in Elkhart County, $100,000 over two years
- Center for Community Justice, Victim Offender Reconciliation Program, $100,000 over two years
- Central Christian Church, building improvements for Child Care Ministry, $50,172
- 17 grants of $25,000 or less totaled $95,557
Career Pathways grants totaling $803,855 were received by:
- Goshen College, recruiting and retaining diverse teachers, $57,000 over two years
- Elkhart Community Schools; Engineering, Technology and Innovation building, $500,000 over two years
- Greater Elkhart Chamber of Commerce, Startup Moxie Elkhart County, $45,000 over two years
- Seven grants of $25,000 or less totaled $70,055