The Community Foundation of Elkhart County has awarded more than $2.3 million in Key Initiative Grants to five organizations in the region. The nonprofit says the grants are awarded to organizations whose work is related to three priorities: youth development, vibrant community and quality of life.
The grants come from the Community Foundation’s Fund for Elkhart County, an unrestricted fund. Grant requests are approved by the organization’s Key Initiatives Committee, which is comprised of the chairpersons of the Community Investment Grant committees, as well as current and former board members.
"The Key Initiative Committee was pleased with the transformative nature and high quality of programming these projects have," says KIC Chairperson Jill Sigsbee. "As local agencies work to advance their mission, so too does the Community Foundation work to improve the quality of life in Elkhart County."
The recipients and their projects include:
- Friends of the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail: $150,000 – Construction of the trail between County Road 33 and County Road 20
- Goshen Theatre: $1,000,000 – Renovation. This is a 2:1 Challenge Grant, which means the Goshen Theatre will need to rise $2 million in order to receive the grant.
- IUSB Elkhart: $300,000 – Elkhart Center Health Sciences Graduate School Program
- Walnut Hill Early Childhood Center: $350,000 – New Child Care Center Building
- Wa-Nee Community Vision 2020: $520,000. The Vision 2020 project is a collaborative effort among the Boys and Girls Club of Nappanee, City of Nappanee, Elder Haus Senior Center, Family Christian Development Center and Wa-Nee Community Schools. This is also a 2:1 Challenge Grant, which means the organizations must raise $1.04 million to receive the grant.