Bridge rehab schedule for Indiana Toll Road released
Elkhart-based ITR Concession Co. LLC on Wednesday unveiled the construction schedule for its 2023 Northwest Indiana Bridge Rehabilitation project. The company, which manages the entire 157-mile Indiana Toll Road, said the bridge infrastructure is due for upgrades after 56 years of use.
The project will take place in three phases this year, with the first beginning Monday and lasting through May 20.
The first phase will see construction on 18 bridges on I-90 from the Westpoint Toll Plaza at the Illinois-Indiana state line to Gary/Chicago International Airport. Guardrail improvements will also be made between exits 10 and 5 in Hammond.
The majority of the construction will take place Monday-Saturday from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. The ITRCC said all lanes will be open during the summer holiday weekends for Memorial Day, the Fourth of July and Labor Day.
“Our goal is to minimize the impact to travelers by keeping traffic moving safely while proactively communicating with our customers and community stakeholders,” ITRCC Chief Operating Officer Rick Fedder said in written remarks.
The ITRCC said when the project is complete, the roadway will be “safer, smoother, and require only routine maintenance for decades to come.”
The specific lane closures for the first phase of the project include:
- MM 0 – MM 1.1 | l-90 | eastbound (EB) and westbound (WB) traffic will be reduced to one lane.
- Exit 0 WB will remain open.
- MM 0.9 | Exit 0 EB | Ramp entrance at I-90, EB over 108th street, will be closed. EB entrance traffic will detour down US-41 to Exit 5 on I-90.
- Local traffic | 108th Street will be closed; follow detour signs around closure.
- MM 1.1 – MM 2.2 | EB and WB traffic will be reduced to two lanes through the duration of the project.
The second phase will run from May 20 to Sept. 10, with the third phase taking place Sept. 10 through Nov. 10. Details on lane closures for the final two phases will be announced at a later date.