Hammond, Muncie Part of NFL 100 Celebration
HAMMOND and MUNCIE - The cities of Hammond and Muncie will next month take part in the NFL Draft as part of the league's centennial celebration. The Hoosier cities are among the 14 "Original Towns" that hosted teams in the NFL's inaugural season and will take part in the 6th round draft picks of two current NFL teams.
When the NFL launched, two of its teams included the Hammond Pros and the Muncie Flyers. Both cities will host special events April 27 during the draft to commemorate the centennial.
In Hammond, the city will host an event at the Hammond Sportsplex from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. with Mayor Tom McDermott announcing the 6th round pick for the Los Angeles Chargers. He will be joined by Chargers radio play-by-play announcer, and Hammond native, Matt Smith.
"Hammond has a rich sports history and being an original NFL city is something no other city or town in Northwest Indiana can claim," McDermott said in a news release. "We’re very excited to be partnering with the NFL and bringing this event to the Sportsplex on April 27th."
Also on April 27, the city of Muncie will host an event from 2:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at Canan Commons, which will include the 6th round draft pick for the Indianapolis Colts. Former Colts player Bill Brooks will announce the pick along with two Colts cheerleaders and the winner of a draft day contest.
You can learn more about the Muncie event by clicking here.
The full list of NFL "Original Towns" includes:
- Akron, Ohio (Akron Pros)
- Buffalo, New York (Buffalo All- Americans)
- Canton, Ohio (Canton Bulldogs)
- Chicago, Illinois (Racine Cardinals, Chicago Tigers)
- Cleveland, Ohio (Cleveland Tigers)
- Columbus, Ohio (Columbus Panhandles)
- Dayton, Ohio (Dayton Triangles)
- Decatur, Illinois (Decatur Staleys)
- Detroit, Michigan (Detroit Heralds)
- Hammond, Indiana (Hammond Pros)
- Muncie, Indiana (Muncie Flyers)
- Rochester, New York (Rochester Jeffersons)
- Rock Island, Illinois (Rock Island Independents