State Awards Rail Crossing Safety Funds
GARY - Governor Eric Holcomb and the Indiana Department of Transportation have awarded more than $121 million in state matching funds for rail crossing safety improvements throughout the state. The funding was made available through INDOT’s Local Trax matching grant program.
The grants allow communities to pursue high-priority railroad grade separations, crossing closures, and other safety enhancements at railroad intersections with local roads. The program requires local governments to provide 20 percent of funding for land acquisition and construction, with the remainder coming from the state.
An additional $10 million in funding is coming from Norfolk Southern Railway, CSX Transportation and Canadian National to help deliver on the projects.
“Improving high-traffic rail crossings makes our communities safer, creates opportunities for economic development and boosts quality of life,” INDOT Commissioner Joe McGuinness said in a news release. "Through the Local Trax program, community leaders, the state and railroad companies come together as financial partners to improve aging railroad infrastructure throughout Indiana."
The recipients include:
Community - Project Location - Estimated State Matching Funds
- Elkhart (City) - Hively Ave. east of Main St. crossing the Norfolk Southern Railway - $15,853,300
- Elkhart County - Sunnyside Ave./Mall Dr at U.S. 33 (Main St.) - $20,088,000
- Gary - N. Clark Rd. near airport - $15,200,000
- Hammond - Bridge over Norfolk Southern 800 feet E of Parrish Ave., 600 feet N of 173rd St. - $6,760,070
- Hobart- Colorado St. over CN/Grand Trunk and Western - $7,336,580
- Kosciusko County - C.R. 1300 N extension over Norfolk Southern Railroad and Main Street - $7,757,695
- La Porte - Tipton St. to Park St. between State St. and Furnace St. - $6,238,880
- Schererville - Kennedy Ave. bridge over Canadian National and Norfolk Southern railways - $8,229,340
- Terre Haute - Near intersection of N. 13th St. and 8th Ave. - $13,520,000
- Vanderburgh County - Mill Rd. approx. 650 feet W of Kratzville Rd. - $6,237,500
- Wabash - N. East St. over the Norfolk Southern Railroad near E. Hill St. - $8,560,000
- Wells County - Rerouting of Hoosier Highway to connect to Adams Street at Bluffton City Limits - $6,019,073