Burns Harbor Steel Plant Dedicates Historical Marker
BURNS HARBOR - A long-standing steel plant in northwest Indiana has received an Indiana state historical marker. The Burns Harbor Steel Plant, which is currently owned by ArcelorMittal, celebrated the marker Saturday with a public dedication ceremony.
ArcelorMittal and the town of Burns Harbor put their efforts together to receive the marker, which commemorates the development and legacy of the Burns Harbor Steel Plant. The full text of the state marker, titled "Legacy of Steel / Burns Harbor Steel Plant," reads:
In the early 1900s, steel plants were developed on southern Lake Michigan to improve access to growing Midwest markets. After purchasing 3,300 acres in Porter County, Bethlehem Steel built and began its Burns Harbor operations in 1964. The plant’s development spurred local conservation efforts leading to the creation of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore in 1966. The Burns Harbor plant was key to building the Port of Indiana and incorporation of the Town of Burns Harbor in 1967. Designed as a fully integrated plant, it relies on the port for transporting raw materials. Since 1969, Burns Harbor remains the newest integrated U.S. steel facility. Global steelmaker ArcelorMittal gained ownership of the Burns Harbor plant in 2007.
According to the Indiana Historical Bureau, state historical markers "commemorate significant individuals, organizations, places, and events in Indiana history." More 650 markers have been installed since 1915.