Eleven Monroe County organizations have received tourism marketing grants from Visit Bloomington. The funding is designed to boost tourist-attraction efforts for visitors 50 miles outside of the city.
The grants focus on events that meet a number of criteria, including attracting a large number of visitors and creating positive publicity.
The organization has awarded the Tourism Marketing Grants each year for the last nine years. This year, it is distributing a total of $40,000.
The 2017 winners and the amount they are awarded include:
- Bloomington PRIDE Summerfest – $5000
- Cardinal Stage Company & WonderLab Museum Spring Events – $4500
- Bloomington Blues & Boogie Woogie Piano Festival – $4200
- IU Alumni Association Homecoming – $2400
- Krampus Night- $3100
- Artisan Guilds of Bloomington Holiday Show – $3800
- Limestone Comedy Festival – $3600
- Lotus World Music & Arts Festival – $3600
- B’Town Jazz Fest – $3300
- Middle Coast Film Fest – $3300
- Great Glass Pumpkin Patch – $2600
Visit Bloomington says tourism activity generates an economic impact beyond ticket sales. The events they say bring in spending for lodging, food and drink, shopping and more.