More than 700 youth workers and educators are taking part in a two-day business summit in Indianapolis focusing on afterschool and summer programs. The event features a panel discussion including executives from Columbus-based Cummins Inc. (NYSE: CMI) and The Kroger Co. (NYSE: KR).

March 17, 2014

News Release

Indianapolis, Ind. — This 2-day Summit, hosted by the Indiana Department of Education and the Indiana Afterschool Network, brings together over 700 youth workers, educators, and community partners serving more than 40,000 K-12 youth, in under-resourced communities statewide.

Businesses are rallying in support of afterschool and summer programs as a key strategy to prepare, retain, and attract employees. Businesses view afterschool and summer programs as great opportunities to accelerate learning and prepare youth with 21st century skills for the future workforce. Programs give employees opportunities to engage in the community and work directly with youth. In addition, businesses competing for top talent with global cities use afterschool programs to make a compelling case that their cities offer a rich array of high quality learning experiences beyond the school day.

Highlights of Business Leaders at the Summit:

10 Essential Principles of Entrepreneurship You Never Learned in School- Special Guest Presentation by Michael 'Mickey' Maurer- IBJ Corporation and the National Bank of Indianapolis. An entrepreneur and business leader, Mickey Maurer has been immersed in high profile businesses in disparate industries including broadcasting, publishing, motion picture production, cable television, real estate, banking and even a nonprofit called Mickey's Camp. This presentation will show how entrepreneurship principles can help youth prepare for success in today's global economy.

Engaging Corporations and Foundations as Partners and Investors in Out-of-School Time- A panel featuring corporations and foundations that include, John Elliot- Kroger Company, Brad Rhorer- Subaru, Ryan Larcom-Cummins, Inc., Neil Schmottlach-Ball Brothers Foundation, Tina Peterson-Community Foundation, facilitated by Reginald McGregor, Rolls-Royce Corporation. This panel will help youth programs better understand corporation and foundation priorities and how they work together to give youth exciting learning opportunities beyond the school day.

Every child in Indiana deserves a great education, regardless of background, income, or zip code. Schools can't do it alone and access is not equal. By 8th grade, affluent youth have more than 6,000 more hours of enrichment and learning that low-income youth. Kids spend only 20% of their waking hours in school, and how they invest the other 80% transforms their lives. Building robots, solving real-world problems, being part of a team, being healthy and active, exploring the world around them, contributing to their community, learning about inspiring colleges and careers – this is the out-of-school time opportunity.

Indiana Afterschool Network Vision: Indiana is a place where all children and youth have access to high quality learning opportunities beyond the school day that prepare them for success in school, college, careers and life.

Source: Indiana Afterschool Network

Story Continues Below