The Indiana Gaming Commission says casinos are likely to stay closed until at least mid-June after the state enters Phase Four of its “Back On Track” plan.
In a brief statement on its website, the commission said, “No reopening dates have been determined at this time, as the decision is dependent upon information that is not yet available.”
The state-mandated casinos to close in mid-March in response to the pandemic. Since then, thousands of employees have been furloughed or laid off.
Last week, Governor Eric Holcomb released his plan which calls for the phased reopening of the state’s businesses. The fifth and final phase aims to get the state fully reopened by July 4.
But Holcomb said for that to open, Indiana must reach and maintain four benchmarks, such as the number of patients with the disease and hospitals having the ability to respond to a surge of cases.
“Please note that dates in the current plan are subject to change as new information emerges,” said the commission.
Phase four allows for bars and nightclubs to reopen with 50% capacity. Likewise, entertainment and tourism venues can reopen with 50% customer capacity, while restaurants can offer dine-in service at 75% of capacity.
“The Commission will provide reopening guidelines to Indiana casinos and post opening dates as they are determined.”