Indiana Opts Into Public Safety Wireless Network

Posted: Updated:
FirstNet was established in 2012 by federal law. FirstNet was established in 2012 by federal law.
INDIANAPOLIS -

Governor Eric Holcomb has announced Indiana will be the 25th state to opt into a nationwide public broadband network deployment plan. The FirstNet initiative allows AT&T to install infrastructure at no cost to the state, giving public safety workers and first responders access to high-speed, wireless communication infrastructure.

Holcomb says the network will "help those on the front lines coordinate better and faster to serve and protect our citizens and communities."

FirstNet was established in 2012 by federal law. AT&T will build the infrastructure at no cost, and local public safety and first responder agencies will pay subscription fees to access the network. Indiana Integrated Public Safety Commission  Executive Director David Vice says the state has conducted "unprecedented effort" to work with public safety leaders to make sure the program is right for the state.

Other states that have opted into the network include: Virginia, Wyoming, Arkansas, Kentucky, Iowa, New Jersey, West Virginia, New Mexico, Michigan, Maine, Montana, Arizona, Kansas, Nevada, Hawaii, Alaska, Tennessee, Nebraska, Maryland, Texas, Minnesota, Alabama, Idaho and Louisiana. 

  • Perspectives

    • Greg Ballard is the former mayor of Indianapolis and a co-founder and current board member of Indy Women in Tech.

      Shining a Spotlight on Women in Tech

      I still get a thrill driving through the gates of our legendary Indianapolis Motor Speedway and I will be lucky enough to do so for an entire week soon. This week, the best women golfers in the world will once again display their talents at Brickyard Crossing Golf Course in the Indy Women in Tech Championship. However, the tournament is much more than an athletic competition. It is an opportunity to support a solution to a critical economic and workforce development issue.

    More

Subscribe

Name:
Company Name:
Email:
Confirm Email:
HTML
INside Edge
Morning Briefing
BigWigs & New Gigs
Life Sciences Indiana
Indiana Connections
INPower
Subscribe
Unsubscribe

Events



  • Most Popular Stories

    • (Rendering of phase two of the Riverfront Fort Wayne project provided by the city of Fort Wayne.)

      Fort Wayne Riverfront Contract Pulled

      A proposed $2.5 million contract for the design work for the next two phases of the Riverfront Fort Wayne project has been pulled. Our partners at WPTA-TV report the Fort Wayne City Council withdrew the contract, which was set to go to Philadelphia-based DAVID RUBIN Land Collective.

    • Economic Development Announcement Set For Gary

      An economic development announcement is set for Thursday in northwest Indiana. Governor Eric Holcomb and Gary Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson will join executives from Pittsburgh-based United States Steel Corp. (NYSE: X) for the event.

    • The building will be converted to the Aloft Indianapolis Downtown

      Historic Downtown Indy Building to Become Hotel

      A hotel owner and operator with offices in Columbus and New York has acquired a historic building in downtown Indianapolis. Everwood Hospitality Partners says it has invested $5 million to acquire the former Stockyards Bank Building and plans to invest an additional $13 million to transform the building into a 128-room hotel. The 12-story building, which was built in 1898, will become the Aloft Indianapolis Downtown. Renovation work is expected to begin in the...

    • U.S. Steel 'Renaissance' Spurs $750M Gary Works Investment

      Pittsburgh-based U.S. Steel Corp. (NYSE: X) has announced a $750 million investment in its Gary Works operations. The company says the funds are part of a $2 billion asset revitalization effort that will take place over the next five years. Last year, U.S. Steel detailed plans that involved pumping $35 million into Gary Works, which followed the $23 million first phase of its Hot Strip Mill Restoration Plan. The latest investment, the Indiana Economic Development Corp. says...

    • Fort Wayne Radio Icon Butcher Passes Away

      A fixture in the Fort Wayne radio scene has passed away. Charly Butcher spent more than 30 years in Fort Wayne radio with a successful morning show on WMEE-FM and, most recently, as host of "Fort Wayne's Morning News" on WOWO radio. Butcher was 61. Butcher was part of WMEE's popular "Those Two Guys In The Morning" show with Tony Richards in the 1980s. He joined WOWO in the mid-2000s as host of "Fort Wayne's Morning News With Charly Butcher."