Landmarks Names Partners in Preservation

Posted: Updated:

Indiana Landmarks is supporting federal protection nominations of ten sites throughout the state. As part of the organization's Partners in Preservation National Register Program, it is highlighting locations including the century-old former home of the late-U.S. Representative Julia Carson, a railroad depot in Shoals and a historic district in Terre Haute. February 10, 2015

News Release

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - Indiana Landmarks announces recent awards from its Partners in Preservation (PIP) National Register Program that will support nominations of 10 Hoosier sites and districts to the National Register of Historic Places.

In Indianapolis, Indiana Landmarks awarded PIP funding for a National Register nomination for the home of the late African American legislator and political activist Julia M. Carson. The first woman and first African American to represent Indiana's 7th District, Julia Carson served in Congress from 1997 until her death in 2007. Before she won the congressional election, she served as a state representative and state senator.

Carson lived for decades in the 1913 Arts and Crafts house on North Park Avenue in Fall Creek Place. Seeking recognition for the home, her son Samuel sought Indiana Landmarks’ assistance with the National Register nomination process. Mr. Carson, who now owns the house, is matching the $1,450 in PIP funding for the project. James Glass, PhD, of Historic Preservation and Heritage Consulting LLC will conduct the research and write the nomination.

The Riverside Civic League won PIP support for a historic district nomination for the Riverside Drive neighborhood, also in Indianapolis. Adjacent to Riverside Park, the proposed district is bounded by 21st and 29th streets, Riverside Drive and Harding Street.

The neighborhood includes bungalows and larger homes built largely between 1900 and 1925, with a handful of earlier survivors and some added after World War II. Fieldstone retaining walls are a distinctive feature of the neighborhood.

Attorney Doug Fivecoat, an Indiana Landmarks intern earlier in his career, is volunteering his service to the civic league to draft the nomination. His in-kind contribution qualifies as the neighborhood group’s match for Indiana Landmarks’ $2,475 grant.

Other historic buildings, bridges and districts being nominated with matching support from Indiana Landmarks' PIP program include:

Brimfield School No. 2, Brimfield (Noble Co.) Norris Farm-Maxinkuckee Orchard, Culver (Marshall Co.) Town Theatre, Highland (Lake Co.) M. Fine and Sons Building, New Albany (Floyd Co.) Shoals Historic District, Shoals (Martin Co.) Pennsylvania Railroad Depot, Decatur (Adams Co.) Henry Henley Memorial Public Library, Carthage (Rush Co.) William S. Rea Park Historic District, Terre Haute (Vigo Co.)

Listing in the National Register makes properties eligible for incentives for restoration, including a state tax credit available to homeowners and a federal tax credit for owners of income-producing property.

Indiana Landmarks revitalizes communities, reconnects us to our heritage, and saves meaningful places. With eight offices located throughout the state, Indiana Landmarks helps people rescue endangered landmarks and restore historic neighborhoods and downtowns. People who join Indiana Landmarks receive its bimonthly magazine, Indiana Preservationist. For more information on the not-for-profit organization, call 317-639-4534, 800-450-4534, or visit www.indianalandmarks.org.

Source: Indiana Landmarks