AT&T Growing Wireless NetworkPosted: Updated:
AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) is expanding its 4G LTE network in west central Indiana. The high-speed wireless network technology is now available in the Owen County community of Spencer.
December 2, 2014
Spencer, Ind. -- AT&T has expanded the nation's most reliable 4G LTE network to Spencer, bringing customers the latest generation of wireless network technology. AT&T launched 4G LTE in Bloomington in April 2012, and this expanded coverage is part of its ongoing rollout across the area.
"With this technology expansion, AT&T is bringing our rural community even closer to a fully connected future," said State Rep. Bob Heaton. "We appreciate the company's investment in Spencer and Owen Co. and the faster mobile Internet speeds that come along with it."
The benefits AT&T 4G LTE provides, include:
• Faster speeds. LTE technology is capable of delivering speeds faster than many other mobile Internet technologies. Customers can stream, download, upload and game faster than ever before.
• Reliability. AT&T has the nation's most reliable 4G LTE network.
• Cool new devices. AT&T offers several LTE-compatible devices, including new AT&T 4G LTE smartphones and tablets.
• Faster response time. LTE technology offers lower latency than other wireless technologies, which means faster processing time to move data through a network, such as initiating a webpage or file download. Lower latency helps to improve services like mobile gaming, two-way video calling and telemedicine.
• More efficient use of spectrum. Wireless spectrum is a finite resource, and LTE uses spectrum more efficiently than other technologies, creating more space to carry data traffic and services and to deliver a better network experience.
AT&T has invested nearly $1.75 billion in its wireless and wired networks in Indiana between 2011 through 2013, driving a wide range of upgrades to enhance speed, reliability, coverage and performance for residents and business customers.
"We continue to see demand for mobile Internet skyrocket, and our 4G LTE network in Spencer responds to what customers want from their mobile experience — more, fast speeds, reliability, on the best devices," said Bill Soards, president of AT&T Indiana.
AT&T's 4G Network
This expansion is part of AT&T's Project Velocity IP (VIP), a multi-year plan to invest for growth, announced in Fall 2012. Through this investment, AT&T is supporting its customers' growing desire for high-speed Internet access and new mobile, app and cloud-based services. As part of Project VIP, AT&T is deploying small cell technology, macro cells and additional Distributed Antenna Systems, which will increase the density of our wireless network. The wireless network densification will further improve network quality and increase spectrum efficiency.
AT&T's innovation and investment have resulted in a nationwide 4G network with ultra-fast speeds and a consistent user experience. AT&T's focus to deliver the best possible mobile Internet experience goes beyond 4G to embrace additional connection technologies. AT&T operates more than 34,000 AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots at popular restaurants, hotels, bookstores and retailers, and provides access to more than 1 million globally through roaming agreements. Most AT&T smartphone customers get access to our entire national Wi-Fi network at no additional cost, and Wi-Fi usage doesn't count against customers' monthly wireless data plans.
AT&T also is a leading developer of Distributed Antenna Systems, which utilize multiple small antennas to maximize coverage and speed within stadiums, convention centers, office buildings, hotels and other areas where traditional coverage methods are challenging.
Over the past six years (2008 to 2013), AT&T invested more than $140 billion into its wireless and wireline networks, when you combine capital investment and acquisitions of spectrum and wireless operations. Since 2008, AT&T has invested more capital into the U.S. economy than any other public company. In a September 2014 report, the Progressive Policy Institute ranked AT&T No. 1 on its list of U.S. “Investment Heroes,” a ranking AT&T has achieved for the third straight year.