AT&T Makes More UpgradesPosted: Updated:
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) has announced technology improvements in northeast Indiana. The communications provider says it has activated new 4G LTE coverage in Decatur. August 13, 2014
DECATUR, Ind. -- AT&T has turned on the nation's most reliable 4G LTE network in Decatur, bringing customers the latest generation of wireless network technology. Watch here to see several of the benefits AT&T 4G LTE provides, including:
• Faster speeds. LTE technology is capable of delivering mobile Internet speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G. Customers can stream, download, upload and game faster than ever before.
• Reliability. AT&T has the nation's most reliable 4G LTE network.
• Cool new devices. AT&T offers several LTE-compatible devices, including new AT&T 4G LTE smartphones and tablets .
• Faster response time. LTE technology offers lower latency than other wireless technologies, which means faster processing time to move data through a network, such as initiating a webpage or file download. Lower latency helps to improve services like mobile gaming, two-way video calling and telemedicine.
• More efficient use of spectrum. Wireless spectrum is a finite resource, and LTE uses spectrum more efficiently than other technologies, creating more space to carry data traffic and services and to deliver a better network experience.
"Our businesses are communicating with their counterparts around the world with wireless devices that fit in the palm of their hand," said State Rep. Matt Lehman. "Enabling local residents and business leaders to access the fastest wireless speeds available will allow them to stay on the leading edge of economic growth opportunities in the coming years."
"We appreciate AT&T's continued investment in our community, which helps ensure that our citizens benefit from the latest communications technologies and a fully connected future," said Decatur Mayor John Schultz.
"We continue to see demand for mobile Internet skyrocket, and our 4G LTE network in Decatur responds to what customers want from their mobile experience — more, faster, reliably, on the best devices," said Bill Soards, president of AT&T Indiana.
AT&T's 4G Network
This expansion is part of AT&T's Project Velocity IP (VIP), a three-year investment plan announced in Fall 2012 to expand and enhance its IP broadband networks. Through this investment, AT&T is supporting its customers' growing desire for high-speed Internet access and new mobile, app and cloud-based services. As part of Project VIP, AT&T plans to add macro cell sites nationwide by year-end 2015, as well as deploy small cells and add Distributed Antenna Systems to increase the density of its wireless network.
AT&T's innovation and investment have resulted in a nationwide 4G network with ultra-fast speeds and a consistent user experience. AT&T's focus to deliver the best possible mobile Internet experience goes beyond 4G to embrace additional connection technologies. AT&T operates more than 34,000 AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots at popular restaurants, hotels, bookstores and retailers, and provides access to more than 1 million globally through roaming agreements. Most AT&T smartphone customers get access to our entire national Wi-Fi network at no additional cost, and Wi-Fi usage doesn't count against customers' monthly wireless data plans.
AT&T also is a leading developer of Distributed Antenna Systems, which utilize multiple small antennas to maximize coverage and speed within stadiums, convention centers, office buildings, hotels and other areas where traditional coverage methods are challenging.
Over the past six years (2008 to 2013), AT&T invested more than $140 billion into its wireless and wireline networks, when you combine capital investment and acquisitions of spectrum and wireless operations. Since 2008, AT&T has invested more capital into the U.S. economy than any other public company. In a September 2013 report, the Progressive Policy Institute ranked AT&T No. 1 on its list of U.S. " Investment Heroes ."
AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc. Reliability claim based on third party data regarding nationwide carriers' 4G LTE. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. Up to 10x claim compares 4G LTE download speeds to industry average 3G download speeds. Learn more about 4G LTE at att.com/network . A Wi-Fi enabled device required. Other restrictions apply.
Source: AT&T Inc.