updated: 7/19/2012 7:51:37 AM
The Town of Fishers' "Nickel Plate District" redevelopment initiative is moving onto its next phase. Plans include residential, office and retail space as well as additional downtown parking.
July 18, 2012
FISHERS, Ind. –The Town of Fishers announced today the second phase of its downtown redevelopment. Following the Nickel Plate District launch—a state-of-the-art amphitheater and multi-use trail—the next step will include redevelopment of the southern portion of the downtown municipal complex. The redevelopment project will include mixed-use, multi-story buildings in Downtown Fishers featuring restaurants, office space, and residential use. Although the request for proposal issued today does not call for a specific design from applicants, it identifies the following priorities:
1. Project construction to start in mid-2013;
2. Mixed-use, including residential and retail (and office if supported in the market);
3. Buildings addressing the street with sidewalks and public spaces that are pedestrian-oriented;
4. Multi-story. Among other things, the number of stories should provide the right proportion to frame Town Hall to the north, should recognize the RFP Parcel most likely will be the western edge of downtown redevelopment, and should provide the right edge for pedestrian-oriented sidewalks and public spaces;
5. Parking structure(s);
6. On-street parking on Municipal Drive and the drive bordering the west side of the RFP Parcel;
7. On-street parking on the interior of Municipal Drive;
8. 200+/- public parking spaces in addition to those needed for the development;
9. First floor retail space along 116th Street, a mix of restaurants preferred;
10. First floor retail wrapping from 116th Street northward for some appropriate distance along Municipal Drive; and,
11. Architecture is an important component and applicants are encouraged to survey existing architecture in downtown when considering the style to propose.
"Fishers residents want a vibrant downtown… a place that is the heart of the community. We have heard that for many years. With the development of the Nickel Plate District and the addition of this downtown redevelopment project, we are thrilled to be embarking on the realization of our community's vision," said Fishers Town Council Member David George.
"Downtown redevelopment is a key part of our strategy to help retain and expand existing businesses and attract new businesses to Fishers. While new buildings, public spaces, restaurants and shops downtown will be great assets for our residents, they also will be an economic development tool we can use to grow jobs in Fishers ," said Fishers Community Development Director Tom Dickey. "To say we are excited, would be an understatement."
The RFP submittal deadline is September 7, and the downtown redevelopment project will be awarded on October 15. Construction is scheduled to start in mid-2013. For more information and for a downloadable map of the property, visit www.fishers.in.us
Source: Town of Fishers