updated: 9/11/2008 8:48:57 AM
Indiana Senate Democratic candidates and lawmakers have announced their goals for the upcoming legislative session. "Hoosier Values: Senate Democrats' Vision For A Better Indiana" focuses on 11 areas, including economy, education and energy. It also includes calls for promoting more "green" jobs.
Source: Inside Indiana Business
Indianapolis, Ind. -- Indiana Senate Democratic candidates and lawmakers today unveiled their 2008 agenda at a Statehouse news conference.
The theme of this year's agenda is "Hoosier Values: Senate Democrats' Vision For A Better Indiana."
"Far too often, we hear politicians referring to Hoosier values in terms of social issues, but what Hoosiers truly value are good-paying jobs, a quality education system and affordable health care," said Senate Democratic Leader Richard Young, D-Milltown. "That's what we're focusing on this year."
The plan lays out goals in 11 different areas, including jobs and the economy, education, health care, public safety and energy.
Among its many recommendations, the plan calls for:
· The expansion of full-day kindergarten for every Hoosier child
· Promoting and recruiting more "green" jobs to Indiana
· Ending corporate welfare for companies that do not pay a living wage or do not meet their commitments to the state or their communities
· Creating public-private partnerships to reduce poverty
· Universal access to health care
· Encouraging local governments to increase efficiency and save tax dollars
· Holding employers accountable for hiring illegal workers
Between now and the November election, candidates and lawmakers will take the different components of the plan back to their communities to explain their positions to and seek input from local residents.
"To me, the most important part of this plan is that we're open to more feedback from the people we represent," said State Sen. Vi Simpson, D-Ellettsville. "We've targeted the big issues we know Hoosiers are concerned about, but as citizen legislators, staying connected to our local communities and the people we represent is the key for effective leadership.
A copy of the "Hoosier Values" platform is attached to this release.
Source: Indiana Senate Democratic Caucus